Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Smut 101: UST




UST: Unresolved Sexual Tension, The Non-Smut
So I’m back again for yet another installment of this journey through all things smutty and smexy in TwiFic. This time we’re going to talk about the non-smut smut: UST or Unresolved Sexual Tension. UST is often a forgotten element in smut/sex. It’s not smut, but it makes the smut/sex all that much better.

Guideline #4: Leave them wanting more. Penetration isn’t the only way to leave the readers panting.

Now some of you may be asking what is UST, and how is it any different than angst? Tension is tension, right?

Well, I have my own definition, but I also wiki’d that shit, as well as googled it. Here is what my searches on the interwebs came up with:

From Indopedia:

Unresolved sexual tension is a common mechanism in fiction, which enables the relationship between characters to build up a powerful erotic charge without actually becoming sexual.

Unresolved sexual tension is a common scriptwriter's technique, and was used to provide the main character drive in TV series such as Moonlighting. When the sexual tension was resolved, the tension that made the relationship interesting to the audience disappeared.


From Wikipedia:

Sexual tension is the occurrence between two people (which is often found in works of fiction) in which two or more of the individuals sexually long for one another, but the consummation is postponed or never occurs. This longing is often suggested by incidents of intimacy; for instance, when two people or characters are alone, are physically close, but desire is never explicitly expressed.


Here’s my definition of Unresolved Sexual Tension: physical or emotional feelings of lust, love, or desire that are not acted upon or openly admitted, which create a heightened atmosphere surrounding the characters and their environment.

Now I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Angst when talking about UST. The two aren’t mutually exclusive, but depending on the story, they sometimes go hand in hand. Angst is emotional distress or strife caused by a variety of factors, but mostly in TwiFic it’s miscommunication or feelings of not being worthy of your chosen partner and their affections. Sometimes the angst is caused by the UST, but as I stated earlier, the two aren’t mutually exclusive. For the most part, it depends on the story and the way the writer tells it.

So now we know what UST is and how it can relate to Angst, why is UST a good thing?


UST sounds like a total cock/clitblock? It is - it’s the sweetest kind of torture for the reader, and we love it. That doesn’t mean that it’s a bad thing in the slightest. There is a general consensus that UST is a good thing. The majority of the readers I polled preferred UST to actual smut, now that is saying something. It was brought to my attention though, that we all love UST, but beg authors to just get the characters together already, an interesting dichotomy.

If done well, UST can excite & entertain the reader just as much as the actual smut/sex does; our pulse races, breathing deepens, palms sweat, and we're glued to the edge of our computer chairs wondering if the characters will finally get together, or kiss, or throw each other on to the nearest flat stable surface and boink like bunnies. The characters can, and often do, eventually consummate their passion and lust, but the slow build, the smolder, the barely contained fire on the way to them hopping into the bed is the good shit.

The reader will feel the UST more than the smut on most occasions. The mood and atmosphere of the scene where UST is present is often more palpable than actual smut scenes. I honestly don’t know why that is, why the reader's senses are heightened in the moment where UST is present, it just is. If someone figures it out, let me know.

When the characters eventually do find themselves in bed and the tension is resolved, it’s all the more meaningful and sweeter for the reader if the build-up to it tortured them a little bit; we’re masochist that way. It also can be more meaningful to the characters if they have struggles with their attraction to their chosen partner. It makes the consummation of their desires, passion and love more than the physical act they are partaking in.

Okay, it’s agreed that UST is a good thing, but are there any bad sides to it?


Well, it is a good thing, but it can be taken too far sometimes. If an author drags out the tension - the will they/won’t they, the almost kisses, it can be too much for readers. It’s a very fine balance between the sweet torture and the ‘driving bamboo slivers under the nail beds of your readers’ kind of torture. The reader wants the resolution and are willing to give authors a little leeway on the road there, but don’t like it when it is abused.

I have dropped a fair number of fics when the UST reached epic proportions of ridiculousness, and it seemed the author was only dragging it out to make the story longer. It’s frustrating to the reader, and to be honest, pisses them off. You take the reader right to the edge, only to turn back around without letting them enjoy it. No one likes that, so have at it, but don’t get too carried away.

Alright, no torturing the reader too much, now how does one go about putting UST into a story?


A very good question and one that doesn’t have a definitive answer. There is no one way to have UST in a story. UST is all about inaction and near misses, whereas smut is all about actions.

Writing smut/sex is like a math formula. Anyone remember the ‘Friends’ episode where Monica draws Chandler a picture with erogenous zones numbered on it and shows him how to properly please a woman? Writing smut/sex is kind of like that in a way.

(Kissing body part 1, 2, 3 + licking/nibbling/biting body part 2, 4, 5) + (touching body part
2, 5, 7 + kissing of body part 1, 3, 5) + (body part X÷ by body part V x ∞) = Smut/Sex.

Swirl in a some emotion and sprinkle with a little well-placed dirty dialogue, bake at inferno temperature to a golden brown and you’ve got yourself some tasty smut. Lather, rinse and repeat. I’m mixing my metaphors, but you get my point.

Now with UST, as stated above, there are no actions. It’s inaction or only very minor actions; almost kisses, accidental touches, interrupted moments, darkened hooded-eyed looks, gentle caresses, stuttered words, toying with ones intended interest, wanting to act, but holding back, finding the chosen interest nearly naked, etc…

Really almost anything can cause UST, the possibilities are infinite. It’s all in how the author uses any given situation to create that heightened atmosphere that surrounds their characters. It can be sweet, awkward, loving, panties on fire hot, or any combination of these and so many other possibilities. I think that is part of the appeal, that almost and anything can have UST in it.

Here is an example of awkward UST from
The Wingman
by ninapolitan
:
Tingles weren’t present. Not at all. They were replaced by fucking tremors that left me blushing furiously with my mouth gaping open. “Bella? I asked if you wanted to sit down?” He smiled.

“W-what? You were talking? Shit, what am I doing here,” I stammered. Jesus Christ, he probably thought there was something wrong with me.

Letting go of the paper, he moved the stool that was next to him out to make room for me to squeeze in. I tried to gracefully sit down, but my foot missed the bottom rung and flew forward with a thud into Edward. My face was mashed into his neck and my senses were overloaded.

“Mmmm,” I moaned as my nose nestled near his Adam’s apple and breathed in all things Edward. Man, morning, coffee, all mixed with the scent of the maple syrup that was swirling around the restaurant.

“B-Bella?” he choked out, the stubble on his neck was tickling my lips. Oh my God, I was practically licking his neck. Taking another quick inhale, I backed away and began to apologize profusely.

“Holy shit Edward, I-I’m so sorry,” I shouted at him causing most of the restaurant to turn and look at me.

Peeling my lips away from his neck, I slinked back into the stool and quickly picked up a menu to hide behind. Capturing a quick glance at him, I noticed that his breathing was heavy and his one hand was crushing the newspaper, while the other was resting with his palm flat in his lap. “I’m so sorry,” I whispered and watched as his lips turned down in a grimace.

“It’s okay. It was just…I um,” he stammered and shifted in his seat.


By using Bella’s inherent clumsiness (something that is used often, but isn’t overdone) to get them closer physically, it stirs whatever they are feeling towards each other. The characters try to remain coherent enough to talk to one another and not sound like morons. It’s the initial stumble and eventual recovery that makes it awkward and funny, while making the reader want to have the characters do it all over again.

Here is a loving and innocent example of UST from “
Vampire in the Basement
by michellephants
:
His t-shirt stuck to his body and I eyed him appreciatively. I needed to get him in the rain more often.

It wasn’t as though the water was warm. In fact, if I let myself concentrate on it, the slamming droplets combined with the chilly Washington weather was anything but. However, I had other things to concentrate on, and I found myself able to completely disregard the forced shivers running through my body. My mind refused to work cohesively as I neared him, considering all the reasons for and against pushing him. I didn’t have much time to make a decision, and my excitement at our reunion was growing with each step.

When he was finally within my reach, I extended my arm and took his hand. He was shaking too, but for entirely different reasons. I didn’t care. He was alive, in one piece, and at the house. If I knew anything, it was not to take this for granted.

Without any words, I pulled him to me, releasing his trembling fingers as our bodies connected and opting to lock my arms around his back, instead. I pressed myself flat against him and could have died when his arms encircled my shoulders. His face found the nape of my neck and I smiled against his chest. Kiss or no kiss, the new plan was that I would never let go of him again. Surely we could find a way to make it work?

But we were drenched, and I was freezing, and admittedly, Edward wasn’t entirely comfortable in weather that he had never experienced first hand before. I couldn’t think past the feel of his arms wrapped around mine, but I knew that my body was betraying me more with every passing moment. I tried to nuzzle further into him, in a vain effort to quell my trembles, but I was failing. The metaphorical warmth of his body offered nothing to mine physically.

He inhaled, allowing his nose to contact the skin below my ear. And just like that, every argument I had come up with against kissing him suddenly faded. But then he pulled away, giving me a chance to pull myself together. Making a rash decision when it came to kissing Edward could be the worst mistake of my life. It was important that I consider it from all angles.

When I didn’t budge, I saw his lips turn up slightly, before he moved his hands behind his back to encircle my wrists.

Gently, he pried my hands apart and distanced us just enough for me to see his entire face.

He smiled tentatively when he looked at me, then turned his head to the porch. I nodded, clasping my hand around his and leading us out of the rain.


It's Bella’s indecision and overwhelming need to kiss, hold, and reconnect with her vampire, consequences be damned, that makes this sweet and innocent. She wants nothing more than to touch her lips to his, but because of circumstances beyond their control, she can’t. It’s sweet and bittersweet at the same time. Also, this is a good example of how UST can also cause angst.

Now for the panties on fire example of UST, this one is from “
Deconstructing Dracula
by hmonster4
:
“It’s not safe for you to be out here alone. You never know who might swoop in and try to accost you.”

I kept my eyes closed. I had come out here to clear my head. That included him.

“I’m fine. I just needed a breather. I don’t need anyone to baby sit me.”

“You’ll catch your death out here.”

I didn’t want him to be here. If I didn’t look at him, maybe he would get the hint and go away.

The noise from the club, or the sound of the cars, must have masked his footsteps. I didn’t register the sound of him moving closer. I didn’t realize he was standing next to me until I felt his arms wrap around me. He pulled me in close and ran his hands up and down my back in an attempt to chafe some warmth into me.

“You are damned stubborn. Can’t you just acknowledge that I want to be out here with you?”

“Why can’t you just leave me alone?” I brought my hands up to his chest in an effort to push him away.

“I know that you have fun fucking with my head, but I can’t deal with this. I am not a game!”

I felt totally vulnerable and exposed. I didn’t understand all these feelings and reactions he brought out in me, and I didn’t trust my judgment.

But instead of letting me go, Edward pulled me in tighter.

“You aren’t a game. I wish you were, lord help me I wish you were. But I can’t get you out of my head.”

I didn’t need to hear this. I pushed my hands against his chest in an attempt to break free.

“Isabella, stop. You need to hear me out, please.”

I tried to push away again, but it was feeble effort at best. I liked the feeling of his arms around me.


It’s the “I want you so much even though I shouldn’t, so I’m going to fight it with everything in me” that makes this example so steamy and hot. It’s the feeling of wanting to give into desires, while knowing the smart thing to do would be to run like hell in the opposite direction.

All of these examples titillate and tantalize the reader, leaving them wanting more. That is really the whole point of UST: to leave the reader wanting more, wanting the next step, wanting that almost kiss to be a real kiss, wanting the touches longer, and wanting it all to come to a head when the characters finally surrender to what they are feeling.

Remember, the slow burn is usually the hottest!

Sounds good, are there any more?


There are a massive amount of fics that utilize UST in a very good way. Honestly there were too many examples to choose from, so I picked my favorites for above. When I asked people to give me the best of the best in UST, the below list is what they gave me. Check them out and see if you agree.

A Hearts Savior
E/B AU-AH
A Matter of Convenience
E/B AU-AH
Bare
E/B AU-AH
Behind Enemy Lines
E/B AU-AH
Boycotts and Barflies
E/B AU-AH
Breaking
E/B AU-AH
Breaking Bella
E/B AU-AH
Breathe Again
Jacob/Bella AU
Campus Liasons
E/B AU-AH
Celefaction
E/B/J AU
Clipped Wings and Inked Armor
E/B AU-AH
Confessions of a Nanny
E/B AU-AH
Deconstructing Dracula
E/B AU-AH
Desperation
Jasper/Bella AU-AH
Hiding in Plain Sight
E/B AU-AH
Hydraulic Level 5
E/B AU-AH
I Can Feel Our Hearts Beating As One
Jacob/Bella AU
I Hate You, Kiss Me
E/B AU-AH
Irritable Grizzly Adams
E/B AU-AH
Just One of the Guys
E/B AU-AH
La Canzone della Bella Cigna
E/B AU-AH
Left Holding the Bag
AU-AH
Lost and Found
E/B AU-AH
Maybe I’m Amazed
E/B AU-AH
My Brothers Best Friend
E/B AU-AH
Oh, Inverted World
E/B AU-AH
Place Your Bets
E/B AU-AH
Sanctuary
E/B AU-AH
Scotch, Gin and the New Girl
E/B AU-AH
Show Me a Garden That’s Bursting to Life
E/B/J E/J AU-AH
Stitches and Scars
E/B AU-AH
The Best Man
E/B AU-AH
The Blessing and The Curse
E/B AU-AH
The Caged Bird
E/B AU-AH
The Highwayman
E/B AU-AH
The Lost Boys
E/B AU-AH
The Wingman
E/B AU-AH
Trust in Advertising
E/B AU-AH
Untouchable
E/B AU-AH
Vampire in the Basement
E/B AU
When Fiction Becomes Reality
E/B AU-AH
Will You Still Love Me In December?
Jacob/Bella AU
manyafandom is the author who makes multiples romantic, slash delicious and brings the deviant goodness to the shack. She hopes to in the future to write an IC/Canon Pairing/Vamp story with No Smut to prove she really isn't as big of a perv/deviant as people think she is. She enjoys almost all kinds of twific as long as it's well written and has a good story.

3 comments:

  1. Great post- I agree about the balance of just enough and too much UST. Maybe there should be some kind of "safe word" to use when as a reader you start getting super pissed off about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you used examples to emphasize your points- very good post. And Jesus, do you have any idea what this will do to my already strained eyes now that I will now have to read everything on this list?! Between this site and the Twigasm podcasts I will need to clone myself to read all the fantastics recs out there. I fucking *heart* the internet for brining me the kick ass writing of so many talented people. larac

    ReplyDelete
  3. “The reader will feel the UST more than the smut on most occasions. The mood and atmosphere of the scene where UST is present is often more palpable than actual smut scenes. I honestly don’t know why that is, why the reader's senses are heightened in the moment where UST is present, it just is. If someone figures it out, let me know.”

    As a reader first and a writer second, I believe the tension caused by a session of UST keeps readers in a heightened state by a combination of factors. Humans are of an advanced consciousness, observing and interpreting the faintest movements and body language while internally warring with their instincts to act physically on desires. That goes for characters as well as people. In smut, the character is reacting physically, participating in the moment and the reader eats it up. In a nutshell. For me, a UST moment is filled with uncertainty and stifled desire and therefore, the decision to act is balancing on a tight rope. We usually relate with at least one character in a story, whether a character’s reaction to this kind of anticipation is a deer caught in headlights or he/she simply does the opposite of their thoughts, a reader becomes much more alert. A reader must be alert in order to pick up on the subtleties of the situation, but watch from the sidelines, silently begging for the two characters to connect.

    In I Hate You, Kiss Me, writing UST has unexpectedly become very natural for me. With the foundation of the character’s personalities and traits that I’ve built up, the sexual tension became a product of resistance and never felt forced. I thought about the situation and zeroed in on the sexiest attributes and brought those details forward to the opposing character (and the reader) as forbidden fruit. While I am far from an expert nor am I an experienced writer, I have learned much of this on my own.

    Aside from the delicious specifics of UST, I think another interesting topic to explore is whether the UST fulfilled its purpose within the plot of the story. It is a great way to utilize characters’ awkwardness and attraction in the beginning stages of ‘getting to know you’ while simultaneously enticing the reader, but I agree that an author can take it too far. Sometimes it can feel like the equivalent of leading a starving man to a buffet by a trail of breadcrumbs, and then telling him he can look but don’t touch for the next 20 chapters. And what is physically impossible? When an all human Edward has had a boner nonstop around Bella for weeks/months, as a reader, I wonder how painful it is for man to have the blood leave his head to his other head that no amount of beating off can cure it.

    However, I find that UST allows characters to develop deep feelings for each other without having their attraction fizzle out. It is rewarding when a character experiences those moments of tension but is left with some realizations afterward and so the story can move forward from there.

    It is interesting how the chemistry in moments of tension can differ in each story! I am looking forward to getting through the list above :) This is a wonderful post (about one of my favorite subjects, haha) and I thank you for writing it!

    Stacy Bumblebee

    ReplyDelete

Spread The Word