Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dark and Strangely Friendly





Diver: americnxidiot
Alias: "Confused User of Vowels"

Mission: Something creepy à la Dexter
Parameter: suspense
The Pearl: Mind's Eye by lambently
Rating: M Chapters: 4 Word Count: 11,733 Reviews: 7 Warning: Graphic violence, (?)rape
Summary: Bella is a published author with writer's block. She begins imagining a dark character for her next book who she can't get out of her thoughts. What will happen when the lines between fiction and reality are blurred? AH, rated M for mature content.
Why I read: If I'm honest with myself, I'm a bit of a wussperv. I know it's weird for me to hide from angst given my stories, but it's true. Michelle was insistent that her parameter be something darker, so I ended up scrolling through a genre I wouldn't normally seek out. And I'm so happy I found this fic. The first chapter is downright creepy as we get the third-person perspective of a predator while he watches a woman from a distance. The next chapter shifts, and then we are in Bella's point of view. With one successful novel under her belt, she worries that her success may have been a fluke after months of writer's block. When inspiration does strike, it's dark. Really dark. Trust me when I say that the third-person narration of her predator is graphic, violent, and not at all for the faint of heart. I don't want to give much more away but the writing is beautiful, the plotline is original, and I'm pretty sure I love it.

Mission: Find a sweet friendship story. Something funny or bizarre is preferred.
Parameter: friendship
The Pearl: The Little Friend by YxControl
Rating: M Chapters: 5 Word Count: 6,301 Reviews: 17
Summary: AH/OOC. "He dressed odd, and not because he was wearing a long sleeve shirt, a pair of shorts that went to his knees, and Velcro shoes. Strapped around his head was a pair of pink bunny ears."
Why I read: When I saw this summary, it instantly caught my attention, and let me tell you: it doesn't disappoint on the weirdness. The first chapter is the only told from third-person, and we watch as a very young Bella first meets Edward at the store. He wears a pair of bunny ears. When she asks him to take them off he says they can't. Zoom forward to Bella's freshman year of high school. She and Edward have become best friends, though some things seem very off. No one Bella has talked to has met Edward, despite their closeness. And at sixteen, he still sports a pair of bunny ears that he's unable to remove. I won't pretend like I know exactly what is going on in this fic, but the way the author is completely blurring the lines between reality and illusion is fascinating. Though very sweet, we know something darker is going on. I can't wait to figure out what it is.



Alias: Oliphants Destorying the Basement

Mission:
Find something that makes my heart pump a little bit faster.
Parameter: suspense
The Pearl: Dark as Night by lovetheL
Rating: T Chapters: 2 Word Count: 2,022 Reviews: 11
Summary: Bella has been retired from a dangerous life for over a year now and was enjoying living in peace. That is, until on dismal evening her world is turned upside down by a group of thugs. AH, ExB, OOC.
Why I read: I was looking for something suspenseful, because we don't often see that in twific, and came across this short story. It's only two chapters in, and the first chapter is heavy and (very) sad. However, the premise is very dark and exciting, which kept me enthralled. I find myself dying to know the whats, the whys and whens and hows, and am eager to uncover the mystery behind the actions. Since it's so early on, we're lacking motive and background, but you can tell from the first two chapters that there's more to it than meets the eye. Told in (what, so far, appears to be) alternating POV, this story captures the reader's attention and doesn't let go. After getting through the heart-fail of the first chapter, the underlying mysteries make me eager to read more.

Mission: Step out of my comfort zone and read a sweet "friends grow into more" fic.
Parameter: friendship
The Pearl: My Life Would Suck Without You by Neurotika
Rating: T Chapters: 6 Word Count: 5,133 Reviews: 48
Summary: Bella Swan and Edward Cullen are best friends. They were born on the same day, in the same hospital and for the first few hours of their lives, their families shared a room. This story follows Bella and Edward as they grow up and their lives change. AH.
Why I read: To be honest, I don't often seek out friendship fic, so this was definitely a step out of my element. This fic, however, is, to be put simply: adorable. It starts in Charlie's point of view, in a hospital room, with Renee giving birth. Bella is born shortly after, but Bella isn't the only baby that was born that day in that room. On the next bed over, Edward is born. While the wives sleep, the husbands (Charlie and Carlisle) form a bond, which inevitably leads to their children growing up together. This story unfolds as the children age, coming into their own and learning about life and love through one another. As the Cullen family forms and grows and the gang slowly shapes into what we know them as, the bond between Edward and Bella develops as well. The chapters are short and sweet, as we essentially watch the stories of six kids who experience friendship, love, and loss through one another's company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spread The Word