Wednesday, April 15, 2009

FicDive: They Dove, They Found, They Lived to Tell the Tale



Diver Alias: Call me K, Just K ( aka MsKathy)

Mission: Engaging non Edward/Bella pairing
Parameters: Vamp, K-T Rating
The Pearl: A Coming of Age by Elise Shaw
Summary: Set 5 years after Carlisle and Esme's marriage, the continuing story of their love and growth and the internal struggles of Edward as he makes the decision to leave the family and try a different way of life. A sequel to my story "No Longer Alone." Canon. Fiction Rated: T - English - Romance/Hurt/Comfort - Carlisle & Esme - Reviews: 175 - Published: 01-17-09 - Updated: 04-10-09
Why I Read This: I wanted to find an alternate pairing because most of what I read is Bella and Edward. I thought this would be a great chance to step outside of that and poke my nose around. I also usually read AU-AH, so I really, really wanted to find a vamp story. Finally, I wanted to challenge myself again and find a T-rated or lower fic. I confess - I nearly gave up on this a few times. I first tried for a Rose/Emmett fic. Then I tried Alice/Jasper. I wasn't really connecting with anything I saw.

On my last try, I went with Carlisle/Esme and found this gem. I was hooked from the very beginning, as Edward and Carlisle chat about Esme and her hunting. The writing is excellent and everything you could ask for in a great story. From Chapter 1, you get a sense of the bonded family the three of them have become. The POV rotates between the three of them, which I enjoyed. This author's style of writing and word choices really struck me and I had a visceral reaction to many of the chapters. You feel everyone's pain, agony and happiness. This is in-progress and the most recent chapter is … heart wrenching, but perfect.

Mission: Alice/Jasper
Parameters: K-T rating, vamp, complete
The Pearl: Guilt & Freefalls by court4short
Summary: Alice helps Jasper deal with the guilt he suffers after nearly attacking Bella in New Moon. Twilight - Fiction Rated: K+ - English - Hurt/Comfort/Angst - Chapters: 1 - Words: 1,212 - Reviews: 4 - Updated: 4-6-09 - Published: 4-6-09 - Alice & Jasper - Complete
Why I Read This: Altering the parameters from the first dive, I wanted to find a completed story or a one-shot with Alice and Jasper. The summary interested me as I've always thought about the interaction between everyone after the Jasper/Bella incident, but never read much about it in the ficdom. This is a relatively short one-shot that gets right to the point and delivers a beautifully written version of what might have happened between Alice and Jasper. I especially enjoyed the ending, even if Jasper might/should have picked up a teensy bit on what Alice was feeling.




Diver Alias: Luverly Lurking Along (aka 4theluvofmary)

The Mission: Movie Crossover one-shot
The Parameter: AH, complete, E/B
The Pearl: Bella & Edward's Infinite Playlist by Twilighter620
Summary: Twilight meets Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist in this entry for the Steamy Movie Crossover Contest. Rated M for smut, language, and a good time! Crossover - Twilight & Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - Fiction Rated: M - English - Humor/Romance - Chapters: 1 - Words: 9,302 - Reviews: 16 - Updated: 2-3-09 - Published: 2-3-09 - Bella – Complete
Why I read this: I happen to love Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist (the movie, as I have not had the opportunity to read the book…I mean, who reads real books now anyway? I have too many fics on my list to catch up on). As I began this one-shot, I got a great visual of Edward as Nick; kind of tall and lanky, unaware of his good looks, the teenage awkwardness many boys carry around them quite apparent. Bella as Norah is pretty damn perfect; snarky, mature but still retaining some of that youthful naivety, and generally not really caught up in the drama that is being a teenage girl. Rosalie is Caroline; kind of a lush, kind of a slut, and very hilarious to read about. Let’s not forget Emmett and Jasper as Thom and Dev, members of the queercore band The Jerk Offs. Those two are hands down the best. The way Twilighter620 writes the o/s is very true to the feel of the movie. It flows well; following a style of writing not everyone can pull off, and is hilarious in one of those off beat sense of humor ways. All in all, it is a refreshing read. Anyone familiar with the movie/book should definitely read this o/s.

The Mission: Read a story based on its title
The Parameters: Less than 25 reviews, more than 5 chapters, E/B
The Pearl: Serendipity by FanpireMama
Summary: Bella's life is turned upside down when her best friend's family moves away and her parents are killed in a car accident. What happens when Bella's life is again intertwined with the Cullen's? Rated M for lang & possbily some adult interaction. AH. Fiction Rated: M - English - General - Chapters: 10 - Words: 34,104 - Reviews: 4 - Updated: 4-10-09 - Published: 3-27-09
Why I read this: The title Serendipity will always remind me of the movie with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. Immediately I imagined how this story could play out: Bella being left alone, only to reunite with each of the Cullens through serendipitous events. What kept me reading: you can tell the author writes from the heart, trying to infuse emotion into Bella's different situations; whether it be sorrow over losing loved ones, giddiness at seeing an old crush, or fear at leaving those closest to her. I felt everything along with Bella. She reconnects with Edward and the old feelings return, only to have any hopes of reciprocated feelings squashed. Edward is dating Tanya, uber bitch that even drives Carlisle and Esme to knock a few drinks back. When Bella has to return to Phoenix after a long, happy week with the Cullens, she is left feeling very alone and very despondent. Then there is the rather creepy Jacob who is being a little too forward, making Bella feel even more isolated at her own home. There is so much potential in this story. FanpireMama is getting to the good stuff, I can tell. She definitely deserves more attention than she is currently getting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spread The Word