Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Author Interview: Guinea Pig Barbie


Dollegirl Recommendation: Wilting By GuineaPigBarbie




1. What was it about the Twilight Fandom that made you want to write fanfiction for it?

In all honesty, boredom. I had read the books and enjoyed them, but didn't even know the world of fanfiction existed til quite a while later. I stumbled across Stranger Than Fiction and I was instantly hooked. I started to read more stories and thought it might be fun to play around. Color me shocked when people started to actually read it.

2. What made you choose the genre you write in versus the others? Do you think you might ever venture beyond your chosen genre?

I guess my genre would be humor but I'm not really sure. I never sit around and say, "I want to write the most hilarious story evah". Follow You into the Dark to me was more lighthearted fluff. My favorite part of the books was Bella's interaction with the Cullens so I wanted to expand on that a little more. I just started to ask myself questions, "What if Emmett was Bella's brother? What would he get her for her birthday?" Naturally, I thought it would be a dog. A wienie dog cause Emmett has a sick sense of humor. I think Wilting, on the other hand, was a step outside my comfort zone. Yes, some of the snark is still there but I think these characters have more layers. There might be a layer of humor, but there is also a layer of pain and mistrust.

3. What do you do to avoid writer's block? If it's unavoidable, what do you do to surpass it?

Many authors say that when you get writers block, you just have to write through it. Not me. I'm hardheaded. I watch T.V. or listen to music. Many times I just find someone who will listen to me ramble about my chapter until they tell me to shut up and I have no other option but to go back and write it.

4. Do you find that any certain characters are more difficult to write than others?

I've never written Jake and I probably never will. I have nothing against him, I just don't think I could get into his head. Sometimes I have a problem with Edward, because lets face it, he's smarter then me. I've accepted it. All in all, I don't know if my characters are all that close to the characters in the book. I like to pick dominate traits or certain characteristics that make them similar to how SMeyer portrays them, but I also think people get sick of reading the same whiny Bella or bitchy Rose over and over. I write how I see them in my head, if they end up like in the book, great, if they don't, then, well...isn't fiction grand?

5. Tell us the guiltiest pleasure you indulge in.


Chocolate, Spanish Telenovelas (I don't speak a lick of Spanish but it's like a car wreck, you can't look away), and my never ending search for naked pictures of Rob. So far the last one is a no go, but my fingers are crossed.

6.What's your pre-writing routine, if you have one?

I don't know if I really have a routine. I think I write best late at night so I usually listen to music while I pretend to cook/heat dinner and then when everything quiets down I write. I am the farthest thing from an organized writer. I usually just write whatever is swimming around in my head, go back and read it, and if I like it it stays. Pretty simple.

7. What is your editing process? How much do you rely on outside help?

My beta has earned a spot in heaven for reading over my stories. I am a horrid speller and tend to just throw in commas whenever I think I haven't added one for a while. Besides Birdee, I usually send the chapter to a few different people who check to make sure it flows right and that I'm not completely delusional. You can never have too many eyes.

8. What character do you find yourself relating to most in your story? Do you find that person easier to write or harder?

I am Bella in my stories. Yeah...that sounds even more pathetic when I say that out loud. I guess what I mean is that I write about a lot of my own personal experiences. I actually get people who ask me how I come up with certain things in my stories, particular situations or why I reference different things. For instance, I must have gotten 20 people asking me why I picked such a weird food like a fruit roll up for Bella to eat at the movie theater. Easy answer, it was what I was eating when I was writing. When I was a kid I painted myself blue because I wanted to be Smurf, therefore so did Bella in Follow You into the Dark. I tend to try to mock different aspects of my characters after family or friends, that way I know they will never lose that feeling of being a real person.

9. Are there any writers out there who you really enjoy reading? Any stories that really impress you?

Fanfiction is hard, so I admire anyone who puts themselves out there ultimately for the enjoyment of the reader. I wish I had a chance to read more, but I try to limit my fanfiction intake. Not because there aren't a million amazing stories out there, but because I'm afraid I will be influenced by other stories I read. I don't want to subconsciously take an idea or line from someone else's story because I read it the night before, had a dread about it, and then started to write about my dream. I have a mile long list of stories that I can't wait to read whenever Wilting is done, though.

10. Do you find anything particularly inspiring while writing

Music is a huge inspiration for me. Follow You into the Dark was named after the song by Death Cab for Cutie and Wilting was influenced by the song "Faust Arp" by Radiohead. Music became so important in my brainstorming that I started to put the songs at the beginning of each chapter because it was such great way to get into the character's head. Also, I reference a lot of pop culture, especially in Follow You, so I think for once in my life spending hours in front of a television as a kid payed off. Oh and Gmail. What would I do without Gmail? I've been fortunate enough to become friends with so many authors whose stories I really enjoy. Dollegirl, Gustariana, and Acireamos always offer great advice, pictures, and critics, not to mention they have defiantly talked me off of a few ledges.

11. How do you best deal with the negative critics?

I think there is a big difference between constructive criticism and negative/mean criticism. Sometimes I enjoy constructive criticism just as much as really nice reviews. If someone enjoys my story enough that they want to help me find ways to make it better, then I'm all ears. As for negative criticism, I just ignore it. Unfortunately, they're just mean people out there who want to push your buttons. I have a very pre-school approach to that...I'm rubber and your glue, whatever you say bounces of me and sticks to you. :P

12. What made you pick your pen name?

I am probably the most low key person ever. I live in jeans and t-shirts. My mom use to joke about how I was my sister's Barbie because she would always dress me up. When I went to college, my roommate decided to take over that role. So, naturally when I read the line in Twilight, "I'm not coming over anymore if Alice is going to treat me like a Guinea Pig Barbie", I knew it was fate.

13. Which of your stories is your favorite? Why?

I like and dislike for that matter bits and pieces of each story. Once I hit the post button, I can't go back and read my chapter so I actually haven't read any of stories from beginning to end. I think Follow You came more naturally to me, but I have also really enjoyed pushing myself with Wilting.

14. What or who do you consider your "muse"?

A lot of different things inspire me, but I think my biggest muse would be my Robmate, Dollegirl. She spends way too much of her precious time letting me bounce ideas off of her. I can say very few words and she knows exactly what I mean which is so critical when you are brainstorming with someone. Not to mention, she gives me her seal of approval before I post. Its actually kind of a sad dependency that I have. *pokes LOVE YOU

15. What are your favorite kinds of stories to read in the fandom?

I like stories that aren't afraid to push a boundary. I've already read the Twilight books and know how they are going to end so now I want to read how someone can put a new twist on that. The stories where authors are more focused on staying true to their ideas then getting a bad a review are always the best. Don't get me wrong, I love a good HEA just as much as the next person, but I also think that an HEA can be interrupted differently by everyone. I want to read a story that makes me rethink what I thought I knew about Twilight. (Note: If you like these stories as well, just skip over mine. Its just a bunch of mumbo jumbo.)

16. Which of the twilight character's is your favorite? Why?


Emmett. Out of all the characters I think I can identify with him the most. He is having to go through the same thing as everyone else, but instead of sulking and going all emopire, he works with cards he was dealt. Forever is a long time to be miserable and I think he understands that.


1 comment:

  1. "I want to read a story that makes me rethink what I thought I knew about Twilight." Couldn't have said it better myself... which is probably why I'm an avid reader instead of a writer. You basically summed up one of my two reasons for reading fanfic. The other being straight up awesomeness.

    Also, can I say that Dollegirl is also a wonderful responder to reviews. I have appreciated her kindness and responsiveness.

    I'm loving these interviews. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Spread The Word